Montag, 16. November 2015

Paris

Three days after the deadly attacks in Paris on Friday, 52 out of 608 of my Facebook friends still take part in the social network's "French flag campaign" by applying the filter to their profile pictures to show their support for France. So did I.
Why? For the moment it's not a gesture of politics, but of humanity. Of course one could ask, why I don't use a Syrian flag filter or other filters.
Well, firstly, I couldn't find other filters. Secondly, campaigns like these are only active in special circumstances, in Syria for example people are dying almost all the time. When exactly should I change my profile picture? Thirdly, France is a neighbouring country and in some parts of Germany Paris is closer than Berlin! Fourthly and most important: I really feel sorry for my French friends and people I spent time with during my Erasmus semester. These are the ones of my Facebook friends who mainly use the Frensh-flag-filter. In second place are the ones who spent a considerable time in that country.
Thus, applying the filter is a lot about personal consternation. I think at first there is nothing wrong with declaring one's solidarity right after the tragedy happened. You shouldn't blame people for doing so.

But now I changed my profile picture to the peace symbol, where you can see Eiffel Tower in the middle. Why? Facebook is directly encouraging users to activate the Frensh flag filter, so it's not a viral campaign and I'm not 100% sure about the company's motives. But, what is more, I want to make clear that I'm always sad when people are dying, not only French people. It's all about thinking further. I don't like a world which permanently produces victims of terrorism and war. Or as an Iranian friend, who is studying in Italy, puts it on Facebook: "Just when it happened in France, everyone has realized about the terrorist attacks that is going on for quite some time.... Pray for the whole world, pray not just for France but Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Pakistan, Yemen, Palestine, Israel, Lebanon, Kenya, Somalia, Tunisia, Libya, Nigeria, Cameroon, Ukraine... and all the people in the whole world who have lost their lives due to dirty politics and religious radicals..."

Keine Kommentare: