Dienstag, 18. Oktober 2016

Mexican (poor) boy striving for education




Arturo with students of a literacy project for elderly indigenous, Nov. 2015
SonjasSofa: Today I welcome my amazing guest here on the sofa who already achieved a lot in his life: Arturo E. Martínez from Mexico. He tells us about education in his country and about what really counts in life.

Speaking about education is such a broad issue. Being born in a context of poverty and inequality can be an obstacle, but never determine the person that you can become. Where shall I start my story? I never had classes where I could learn how to use a computer. In my school we had 15 computers, but we were not allowed to use them. Our teacher always said that we didn't know how to use them properly and that we probably would break them down. I couldn't understand why he didn't even tried to TEACH us how to use a computer, so that we would NOT brake them down. In the end, I found another way to learn how to use a computer, thanks to my first non-formal job: Gardening.

Every Wednesday I went to irrigate plants and to take care of a lady`s garden. As an exchange she taught me how to use a computer and let me do my school work. Over time I discovered that I did not want to devote to gardening and that I wanted to learn more and better use of the computer. Since then I've known that I want devote to writing stories and let the world know them. Now I am already big and well, here I am sharing about education in my country: Mexico.

We can declare that education is a fundamental part of the development of a country. But what  happens if only a few receive access to education?

Mexico is the third country within the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) with the highest number of young people who neither study nor work. The reasons may be as simple as lack of interest for not wanting to do something. What is more, there are many young people who are limited to even buy a notebook or a pencil, because of their social, geographical or economical situation. They live many kilometers away from the first school or have to work to be part of the livelihood of their families.
 
In my case, it were the economic conditions of my familiy that limited my education. However, thanks to my work as a gardener I could change my life. Seeing the world through the internet helped me having a different view. I discovered other opportunities and options for my life. I wanted to try new and different things like learning another language (English). So I managed to get a scholarship to study high school in one of the most important universities in Mexico.

The integration in a new context was difficult, but not impossible. From this moment on I began to take every opportunity which allowed me to take, make, create, or organize something better for me and even for my community.

My training since then leaned towards the design and implementation of projects on human development and sustainable development. I have been able to work with programs that have benefited whole communities by giving them information, training them and providing them with tools that generate individual and collective development. This is my way of transcending, giving the opportunity to other people who choose to be and do what they really want.

Education is about giving information. From that point people have more options. They can choose what makes them happy, they can defend their rights, their interests and create opportunities.

In my view, human development is all about one thing: to be happy.

Education is a pillar in our societies to convert people who believe in their ideals, working to turn their dreams into reality.
I am proud to be Mexican. But I work every day to inspire and train more people to feel like citizens of the world, to see beyond our own choices, to create others, to become people who promote positive changes, so that we can inspire others.

My message to the world:
You can do something about it, you can do something for you. So, do something that inspire you and go for it!

Keine Kommentare: