Freitag, 1. Januar 2016

2015 review: Their borders are not my borders

Foto: Emese S.
When looking back at year 2015 we can definately say that it wasn't a boring one. Or let's put it differently: Our world seemed and still seems to descend into total chaos. There's so much happening at the same time: Wars, migration flows, terrorism, climate change and much more. Nobody knows, if 2016 will be better or worse.

But while 2015, taken as a whole, was a really bad year for Europe and a successful one for nationalists, for me personally it was the most European year I've ever had in my life! I've never had so many friends and facebook-contacts whithin the European Union and beyond. Poland, Bulgaria, Hungary, Turkey, Italy, France, Britain, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, Bosnia and Herzegovina, USA, Ukraine, Iran, Russia, Georgia ... And indeed, I'm still texting with some of these people and I'm still thinking a lot about them. I've never met so many warm-hearted people from different nations than in 2015. I'm really grateful and I wouldn't like to miss this wonderful experience.

In my mind, I even brought down the border between Bavaria and the rest of Germany, since I became engaged with Bavarian people, culture and food. Well, Bavaria isn't that bad than I thought before.

All in all, this is why I can say: Their borders are not my ones. At least not in my head. Overcoming borders begins in the mind and continues in behaviour. Seriously, friendships across nations are the best way to feel and become united as humanity. It's the best way to give a damn on mistaken and short-sighted policy, but to trust in people. For sure it's hard work, but it's worth it.
Happy New Year!

Keine Kommentare: